1. The term "seersucker" comes from the Hindi word "
2. Seersucker first became popular in Britain's warm weather colonies like British India (just like our other favorite preppy fabric,
3. The Rolling Stones' song "West Coast Promo Man" talks about wearing a seersucker suit.
SHOP NOW Brooks Brothers Stripe Cotton Seersucker Suit Jacket, $199.
4. One of the best things about the preppy puckered fabric? It doesn't need to be ironed (so it's great for traveling).
5. The traditional seersucker fabric is blue and white, but you can also find shorts, suits, pants, shirts, skirts, and dresses in a variety of colors.
6. When seersucker made its way to the United States, it gained popularity right away, especially with
7. Seersucker was used for summer service uniforms of the first female United States Marines.
8. Senator Trent Lott made seersucker famous by starting a U.S. Congress tradition called "Seersucker Thursday" in 1996. The practice was discontinued (to our chagrin) in 2012.
9. Fans of seersucker
This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors.