IKEA's Hilarious Response to Balenciaga Copying Its 99-Cent Shopping Bag
The world of fashion is baffling. Now the designers behind fashion house Balenciaga have added even more confusion to the mix by coming up with a new leather bag that looks very similar to Ikea’s famous blue shopping tote.
The striking similarities have caught the world’s attention. The main difference between the two bags? One costs $2,145, while the other is a mere 99 cents.
Making light of the comedic turn of events, Swedish brand Ikea tapped its agency partner, Acne, to create the perfect response to the design lookalike—no doubt turning the issue into a massive marketing opportunity for both brands. The print ad with the help of social media cited how customers can distinguish an original Ikea Frakta bag from a fake one.
While the text may be too tiny to read, the print ad says:
How to identify an original Ikea Frakta bag:
1. Shake it. If it rustles, it’s the real deal.
2. It can carry hockey gear, bricks, and even water.
3. Throw it in the dirt. A true Frakta is simply rinsed off with a garden hose when dirty.
4. Fold it. Are you able to fold it to the size of a small purse? If the answer is yes, congratulations.
5. Look inside. The original has an authentic Ikea tag.
6. Price tag. Only $0.99.
A representative for Ikea tells Today, “We are deeply flattered that the Balenciaga tote bag resembles the Ikea iconic sustainable blue bag for 99 cents. Nothing beats the versatility of a great big blue bag!”
No harm was done on Balenciaga’s part. Now the $2,000 question, which of the two will shoppers go for?