These Are the Most Popular Plastic Surgeries Right Now
There has been a recent uptick in facelifts, fat transplants and injectables, according to data released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons—and Instagram filters might be the reason.
There were almost 1.8 million cosmetic surgeries performed in 2016. Here were the top five most popular:
1. Breast augmentation (290,467 procedures, up 4 percent from 2015)
2. Liposuction (235,237 procedures, up 6 percent from 2015)
3. Nose reshaping (223,018 procedures, up 2 percent from 2015)
4. Eyelid surgery (209,020 procedures, up 2 percent from 2015)
5. Facelifts (131,106 procedures, up 4 percent from 2015)
And there were a whopping 15.5 million minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures performed last year. Here were the most popular varieties:
1. Botox (7 million procedures, up 4 percent from 2015)
2. Soft Tissue Fillers (2.6 million procedures, up 2 percent from 2015)
3. Chemical Peel (1.36 million procedures, up 4 percent since 2015)
4. Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures, down 1 percent from 2015)
5. Microdermabrasion (775,000 procedures, down 3 percent from 2015)
The study found several fascinating trends in 2016's data. First of all, The facelift had previously fallen from the top five (bested by the tummy
Second, patients are getting more procedures that harvest their own fat to deposit elsewhere in the body. There were increases in cosmetic fat injections that target specific areas, that "freeze" fat without surgery and that tighten sagging areas. There were also increases in buttock and breast augmentations that use fat grafting.
And third, and perhaps most striking, is that the ASPS' data covered labiaplasty for the first time ever. They found that the surgery, which lifts or injects fat and fillers into the labia, was performed 12,000 times in 2016, which is a 39 percent uptick from 2015.
According to CNN, surgeons are reporting anecdotally that the specific requests from patients have been changing. One doctor said his patients are requesting smaller sizes when they get breast augmentation. Another said his patients want fewer procedures that remove extra skin and are opting for fillers instead. Fillers are also popular because of the Kylie Jenner effect; the reality star has admitted she uses them to plump her famous lips.
But the Guardian actually reports that more people are actually requesting lip reduction procedures than ever before. There were 28,430 lip augmentation procedures last year, but there were also 3,547 lip reduction procedures, with the latter skyrocketing by 283 percent.
"A decade ago plastic surgeons might have seen a patient every seven to ten years when they needed a major procedure like a facelift or tummy tuck,"