Money & Power

Donald Trump's State Visit Has Put The Queen in a 'Very Difficult Position'

The PM is under pressure to withdraw her invitation.
Comments

Theresa May's decision to invite Donald Trump on a state visit to the UK has continued to cause controversy.

After a petition calling for the President's trip to be cancelled reached one million signatures, the Prime Minister has now been criticized for putting the Queen in a "very difficult position."

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

In a letter to The Times, the former head of the Foreign Office said the offer had been "premature" and that May must "move fast" to protect the monarch.

"It would have been far wiser to wait to see what sort of president he would turn out to be before advising the Queen to invite him," Lord Ricketts said.

"Now the Queen is put in a very difficult position."

These comments come after thousands of people across the UK took part in protests against Trump's visit on Monday night. These were sparked by the President's announcement of the travel ban, which prevents people from seven mainly Muslim countries traveling to the US.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

While Downing Street is refusing to say whether Trump briefed May on his plans for a travel ban during her visit to the US, the Prime Minister is under pressure to disclose what she had been told amid allegations she knew, but "turned a blind eye," Sky News reports.

The state visit is expected to be debated in Parliament on Tuesday, but according to Downing Street sources, it's unlikely May will withdraw her invitation to the President, despite the backlash.

May's representatives have also emphasized that the recommendation to invite Trump was made by the Royal Visits Committee, which includes representatives from both Number 10 and the royal household.

A statement from Number 10 said. "To be clear, the Prime Minister extended an invitation on behalf of the Queen—and she was very happy to do so. The USA is one of this country's closest allies, and we look forward to hosting the President later this year."

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Although no date has been confirmed for Trump's visit, it is likely to include a stay at Buckingham Palace. The Palace has not commented on the matter.

This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors.

Comments
View More Articles About:
Recommended Videos
About The Author
Katie Jones
View Other Articles From Katie Jones
Comments
Latest Stories
 
Share
Socialite Cornelia Guest weighs in on hosting a classy party for grown-ups.
 
Share
Sure, four-star hotels are nice. But wouldn't a luxurious home all to yourself be even better?
 
Share
As long as sky conditions are "favorable," says PAGASA.
 
Share
“There are no easy answers but we owe it to the future to explore it right?”
 
Share
Manila’s top jewelers talk to us about what it takes to repurpose cherished heirlooms.
 
Share
A preppy staple and a beloved designer teamed up to create the patterned accessories of your dreams.
 
Share
Now you can order your bubbly at the press of a button.
 
Share
The greatest drama in theater today might be a battle over how to behave. Is texting ever OK during a performance (even for Rihanna)?
 
Share
A documentary on his recent tour of Africa with Meghan Markle is in the making.
 
Share
Launched in 1901, the original Mercedes 35 HP marked the new age of automobiles.
 
Share
They’re pushing the boundaries of philanthropy by incorporating sustainable practices.
Load More Articles
CONNECT WITH US