The Story Behind Meryl Streep and Husband Don Gummer's Adorable Relationship
Meryl Streep is no stranger to success, racking up 21 Academy Award nominations over the course of her career, three of which she's won. But perhaps even more impressive than Meryl Streep's best movies, and the many awards she has won because of them, is her relationship with her husband, sculptor Don Gummer.
In March 1978, Meryl Streep's boyfriend (and her Deer Hunter co-star) John Cazale passed away from lung cancer. Devastated by her partner's passing, Streep turned to a friend of her brother's, sculptor Don Gummer, for support. "She took care of him like there was nobody else on earth," director Joe Papp said of Streep's relationship with Cazale, according to Michael Schulman's Her Again: Becoming Meryl Streep.
The then 29-year-old Streep stayed in Gummer's apartment during the filming of Kramer vs. Kramer, which would later become the first film to win her an Oscar. Six months after Cazale's passing, Streep and Gummer were married in the garden of her parent's home in September 1978, according to People. While even Streep's mother questioned the couple's quick marriage, Gummer has proven supportive of Streep for nearly 40 years, appearing by her side at numerous red carpet events worldwide.
Today, Streep and Gummer are still going strong, supporting each other in their careers, as well as their four children: musician Henry Wolfe, 36, actresses Mamie, 32, and Grace, 29, and model Louisa, 24.
Here's a look at some of the couple's happiest moments throughout the years.
1. Meryl Streep and Husband Don Gummer in 1979 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at the LA Music Center in Los Angeles.
2. Nearly two years after their wedding, Streep and Gummer make a sweet appearance together in London in March 1980.
3. After winning best actress in 1983 for her performance in Sophie's Choice, Streep is all smiles backstage at the Oscars with Gummer by her side.
4. Streep and Gummer pose for a photo at the 22nd Annual American Film Institute (AFI) Lifetime Achievement Award Salute to Jack Nicholson in 1994 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
5. Streep and Gummer attend the premiere of The Bridges of Madison County at the Warner Bros. Studios in 1995.
6. In March 1999, Streep and Gummer walked the red carpet at the Screen Actors Guild Awards, where she was nominated for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role.
7. The couple radiated positive energy as they stepped out to attend The Hours premiere in New York City at the Paris Theater on December 15, 2002.
8. Never has a couple looked so good in sunglasses as Streep and Gummer attending the 2004 AFI Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Kodak Theater in Hollywood.
9. Gummer and Streep walk the red carpet, alongside their daughter, Grace, as they attend the 79th-Annual Academy Awards in 2007. Streep was nominated for best actress for her role in The Devil Wears Prada.
10. Streep and Gummer make an appearance at the 2007 premiere of Rendition at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science in Beverly Hills.
11. Streep is a vision in black alongside Gummer at the Rome Film Festival in 2009.
12. Streep looking elegant in a cream-colored dress alongside Gummer at the State Department Dinner for The Kennedy Center Honors in 2012.
13. Streep and Gummer pose on the red carpet at the 84th-Annual Academy Awards in Hollywood in 2012, where she made sure to thank her husband before anyone else in her acceptance speech for best actress in The Iron Lady.
14. Gummer stands with his arm around Streep at the Made in New York Awards in 2012.
15. Streep and Gummer take a break from the red carpet to attend a Los Angeles Lakers vs New York Knicks game at Madison Square Garden in 2014.
16. Streep and Gummer stay close together at the Weinstein Company Academy Award Party in Beverly Hills in 2014.
17. Streep stands with Gummer on the red carpet at the 2014 Oscars, where she was nominated for best actress for her performance in August: Osage County.
18. Streep and Gummer in coordinating looks at the 87th-Annual Academy Awards in 2015.
19. Streep and Gummer strike a pose at a dinner in Los Angeles in 2017.
*This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com
*Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors