Heritage

The Queen Will Break With Royal Tradition on Remembrance Sunday

The monarch has asked Prince Charles to take her place at the service.
IMAGE GETTY
Comments

In what will be a major break with royal tradition, the Queen will not lay a wreath at the Remembrance Sunday service to honor fallen soldiers this November.

According to multiple reports, the 91-year-old monarch has asked her son Prince Charles to take her place at the Cenotaph in London on 12 November, while she and the Duke of Edinburgh watch from the balcony of the nearby Foreign and Commonwealth Office. It's believed that an equerry will place a wreath on behalf of the 96-year-old Duke, who retired earlier this year.


The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh attend the Remembrance Sunday service, 2016.

Although the Queen has missed Remembrance Sunday memorials in previous years, it will be the first time that she is present at the service but does not lay a wreath herself. She has been forced to skip only six services during her reign, including a 1983 trip to Kenya when Charles stepped in on behalf of his mother.

The Queen was also absent from the ceremony due to overseas visits in 1961, 1968, and 1999. The Duke of Edinburgh represented his wife when she was expecting her two youngest children Prince Andrew and Prince Edward in 1959 and 1963.


Prince Charles lays a wreath at the Cenopath, 2016.

An aide close to the royal family said the Duke is determined to attend the ceremony, while the Queen has chosen to be by her husband's side, reports The Telegraph.

“The Queen wishes to be alongside the Duke of Edinburgh and he will be on the balcony," said the source. Other members of the family, including the Duchess of Cambridge, the Duchess of Cornwall, and the Countess of Wessex, often watch the service from the balcony.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW


 The Duchess of Cambridge, the Duchess of Cornwall, and Sophie, the Duchess of Wessex watch the ceremony, 2016.

The Queen's decision to hand over the role to her eldest son highlights the increasing number of duties being carried out by Charles and other royals. Prince William, who became a full-time royal earlier this year, has also increased his workload following his grandfather's retirement in August.

This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors.

Comments
About The Author
Katie Jones
View Other Articles From Katie Jones
Comments
Latest Stories
 
Share
"His legacy will live on for many more generations after us."
 
Share
A leading Italian mixologist makes the argument for liqueurs in fine dining.
 
Share
Suddenly everyone you know is heading to New Zealand. Here's why people are planning their move today.
 
Share
These romantic retreats have everything you need-except children.
 
Share
Remembering a pioneering entrepreneur and philanthropist in his own words.
 
Share
Family sources close to the chairman emeritus of SM Investment confirmed his passing the morning of January 19.
 
Share
These fresh travel options will open up doors to new sights and sounds without the hassle of a layover.
 
Share
What good is the freedom that money offers if you don’t know how to relax?
 
Share
Is this billion dollar listing a stunt or the future site of a spectacular mansion?
Load More Articles
CONNECT WITH US