Heritage
Princess Michael of Kent Apologizes for Wearing Racist Brooch to Lunch with Meghan Markle
The British royal is reportedly "very sorry and distressed."
IMAGE GETTY
Comments

Princess Michael of Kent—wife of Prince Michael of Kent, Queen Elizabeth II's first cousin, sparked controversy earlier this week when she was spotted wearing an offensive blackamoor brooch while attending the Queen's Christmas luncheon.

Following the controversy, the princess issued an apology claiming that the brooch was a gift and she would never wear it again. Her spokesperson told TMZ that she is "very sorry and distressed" for wearing the offensive brooch and didn't think it would cause any problems as she had worn it several times before without any backlash.

Blackamoor jewelry portrays black figurines, often in positions of servitude that fetishize slavery, making this art style dated and racially insensitive. For this reason, the Internet was quick to point out how inappropriate Princess Michael of Kent's brooch would be in any situation, but especially while attending a luncheon with biracial royal-to-be Meghan Markle.

It's unclear whether the princess intentionally wore the brooch to make a racist statement, though her spokesperson claims she did not. Still, it is difficult to overlook her choice of accessory for the luncheon due to her preexisting history of racial insensitivity. According to an article by the New York Post, the princess reportedly told a group of black customers at a restaurant in New York City's West Village to "go back to the colonies" after complaining that they were too noisy.

Months later, the princess denied making any kind of racial slur or remark at the restaurant. "I even pretended years ago to be an African, a half-caste African, but because of my light eyes I did not get away with it, but I dyed my hair black," the princess said in an ITV interview in a poor attempt at defending herself. "I had this adventure with these absolutely adorable, special people and to call me racist: it's a knife through the heart because I really love these people," she added.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

As of now, no official statement on the subject has been released from either Kensington Palace or Buckingham Palace.

This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors.

Comments
About The Author
Chanel Vargas
View Other Articles From Chanel Vargas
Comments
Latest Stories
 
Share
The fast casual restaurant chain will be brought in to the Philippines by the SSI Group.
 
Share
The Obama Foundation is gathering 200 young African leaders in Johannesburg prior to the former president's Nelson Mandela Lecture.
 
Share
July 16 marks the 100th anniversary of the execution of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, his wife Alexandra, and their five children.
 
Share
The President had tea with the Queen at Windsor Castle on Friday.
 
Share
 
Share
Can the Duchess put this classic neckline back on the style map?
 
Share
Your one-step solution for glowy skin.
 
Share
These jewelers have built a reputation for creating the finest pieces.
 
Share
Thomas Markle Sr. voiced his concerns on Meghan's adjustment to royal life.
 
Share
Keeping your bathroom design as simple as can be is one secret to happiness.
 
Share
She's taking over for Claire Foy in season three of the Netflix series.
Load More Articles
CONNECT WITH US