Buckingham Palace Says Prince Philip's Hip Surgery Was a Success
Prince Philip's hip surgery was a success. According to Buckingham Palace, "The Duke of Edinburgh has undergone a successful hip replacement operation. He is progressing satisfactorily at this early stage. His Royal Highness is likely to remain in
UPDATE from Buckingham Palace: "The Duke of Edinburgh has undergone a successful hip replacement operation. He is progressing satisfactorily at this early stage. His Royal Highness is likely to remain in hospital for several days. He is comfortable and in good spirits."— Emily Nash (@emynash) April 4, 2018
He was admitted to King Edward VII hospital in central London on Tuesday for the planned procedure.
Per Buckingham Palace - The Duke of Edinburgh has been admitted to hospital ahead of planned hip surgery scheduled for tomorrow.— Victoria Arbiter (@victoriaarbiter) April 3, 2018
The Duke of Edinburgh, 96, has been under the weather recently, and missed appearances at both Maundy Thursday and Easter church services last week due to issues with his health.
At this point, it is unclear if he will miss any upcoming events, as the royal family has a busy spring.
The Queen's 92nd birthday celebration will be later this month. Additionally, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's third child is due in April, and, of course, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding is on May 19.
Prince Philip's health was reportedly the reason for Harry and Meghan's short engagement.
"[Prince Harry] wanted something close to home for the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen," royal expert Kate Nicholl told ET.
"In fact, one of the reasons that Prince Harry has wanted this wedding to happen quite quickly—this is really whirlwind by royal standards—is because his 96-year-old grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh, is retired now and Prince Harry really wants him to be at his wedding."
This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors.