Heritage

Prince Charles and Prince William Reportedly Refused to Meet with Donald Trump

The President had tea with the Queen at Windsor Castle on Friday.
IMAGE GETTY IMAGES/ WPA POOL
Comments

President Trump reportedly got royally snubbed on his recent visit to the UK. According to the Sunday Times, Prince Charles and Prince William refused to meet with the US president while he was in England last week.

"This business of Prince Charles and Prince William not being there for the Trump visit was a snub," an anonymous source told the British publication. "They simply refused to attend. It’s a very, very unusual thing for the Queen to be there on her own. Usually, she is accompanied by somebody. Prince Charles has been substituting for Philip a lot recently."

Indeed, President Trump and First Lady Melania had tea with only the Queen at Windsor Castle on Friday. The visit, which was already controversial, made headlines when Trump walked in front of the Queen as they inspected the guards, a clear break in etiquette if not strict protocol.


Trump shaking hands with the Queen outside Windsor Castle.

Given Trump's rather unsavory history with the royal family, it's not a surprise that few members wanted to meet with the US President. 

In 2012, Trump defended the paparazzi who took and sold intrusive, topless photos of the Duchess of Cambridge, in Tweets which are still public on his social media account.

"Kate Middleton is great--but she shouldn't be sunbathing in the nude--only herself to blame," he wrote.

"Who wouldn't take Kate's picture and make lots of money if she does the nude sunbathing thing. Come on Kate!"



And in recent years, Trump has called global warming, a cause Prince Charles is quite passionate about, a "hoax," so it's not hard to imagine why the Prince of Wales might not want to spend time with the leader of the United States.



All that said, neither Buckingham Palace nor Theresa May's office confirmed rumors of a "snub" to the Times.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

"This was not a state visit and the involvement of other members of the royal family would be different," the Palace said.

"There was never any approach by the government or others, formally or informally, to Clarence House, Kensington Palace or the Duke of York’s office."

A Downing Street source also told the Times, "This was always going to be just the Queen."

This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors.

Comments
About The Author
Caroline Hallemann
View Other Articles From Caroline Hallemann
Comments
Latest Stories
 
Share
Look closely to see what these furry friends are made of.
 
Share
Harry Potter-themed airport displays, a newly awarded Michelin star restaurant, and the only rooftop bar in the world that serves its own tea-infused spirits.
 
Share
Meet the chefs behind the excellent dishes at some of the city's top hotels.
 
Share
The Duke recalled his own experience graduating from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst.
 
Share
Plus everything we know about the movie so far, from the premiere date to which characters aren't coming back.
 
Share
The tradition of the royal holiday greeting has changed over time.
 
Share
It's Meghan Markle's first royal Christmas card!
 
Share
Why skiing Australia should be on everyone's travel bucket list.
 
Share
During the holidays this seaside town transforms into a dreamy cold-weather escape.
 
Share
These powerful duos are making big changes in the fields of education, transportation, beauty, art, and design.
Load More Articles
CONNECT WITH US