Heritage

Meghan Markle's Father Will Reportedly Not Walk Her Down the Aisle

He says he is having major heart surgery tomorrow, and will not attend the wedding.
IMAGE GETTY IMAGES
Comments

After two days of going back and forth, Meghan Markle's father, Thomas Markle Sr., says he will not attend the royal wedding, and that he is having serious heart surgery on Wednesday following a heart attack last week.

"They [doctors] will go in and clear blockage, repair damage and put a stent where it is needed," Markle Sr. told TMZ.

On Monday, TMZ reported that Markle Sr. would not be attending his daughter's wedding due to the "fallout" over him staging photos for photographers. At the time, TMZ also reported that he suffered a heart attack six day ago.

At the time, Kensington Palace issued a statement regarding the situation with Meghan's father.

"This is a deeply personal moment for Ms. Markle in the days before her wedding." reads the memo. "She and Prince Harry ask again for understanding and respect to be extended to Mr. Markle in this difficult situation."

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

However, on Tuesday morning, Markle Sr. had changed his mind, and told TMZ he would attend the wedding if his doctors let him. Unfortunately, it now looks like that won't be possible.

Kensington Palace has yet to comment on the surgery, or who will now walk Meghan down the aisle. Likely contenders include Meghan's mother, Doria Ragland, Prince Charles, and Prince William. Meghan could also walk herself down the aisle, as is becoming a more popular choice with modern brides. We'll be sure to update as soon as we know more.

Just last week Kensington Palace confirmed that Thomas Markle would not only be at the wedding, but he would be the one to give her away.

Shortly after Prince Harry and Meghan announced their engagement, her father shared that he would love to walk his daughter down the aisle.

Mirror, a British tabloid, hunted down Tom Markle near Rosarito Beach in Mexico. When asked if he'd like to give Meghan away, he responded, "Yes. I’d love to," adding that he was "very pleased" and "delighted" about his daughter's engagement, but declining to comment further. "I’m sorry. You know I can’t talk," he said.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

It was the first time the public had heard from either of Markle's parents following their statement about her engagement.

"We are incredibly happy for Meghan and Harry," it read.

"Our daughter has always been a kind and loving person. To see her union with Harry, who shares her same qualities, is a great source of joy for us as parents."

Should someone else walk Meghan down the aisle, this wouldn't be the first time a royal bride was escorted by someone other than her father. In 1960, for example, following the death of Princess Margaret's father, George VI, it was Prince Philip who accompanied Margaret down the aisle and gave her away at the altar.

*This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com
*Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors

Comments
About The Author
Caroline Hallemann
View Other Articles From Caroline Hallemann
Comments
Latest Stories
 
Share
The label's Autumn Winter ’19 collection by Paul Andrew and Guillaume Meilland is an undefined, androgynous delight.
 
Share
On July 20 and 21, memorabilia from the Quezon Residence will go under the gavel in an online auction.
 
Share
 
Share
For the first time, a black woman will assume the iconic codename.
 
Share
The journey of the Igorots who were put on display for the world to see.
 
Share
They just arrived at the tennis tournament to watch Meghan's friend Serena Williams play in the women's final.
 
Share
It is harder now to determine who is Truly Rich, what with hordes of people coming into money or, you know, dressing like they have money.
 
Share
 
Share
Load More Articles
CONNECT WITH US