Princess Diana was one of the most popular figures of the 20th century, with her life a rich source of interesting stories.
Of course, with interesting narratives come unique and odd details, that even some of the most loyal fans of the well-loved royal may not have heard of.
1. Princess Diana had to forego tall heels during the duration of her marriage to Prince Charles.
They were the same height pic.twitter.com/I9YVAcU4hn— Philip N Cohen (@familyunequal) March 18, 2017
Just this past March, several Twitter users noticed a trend in the former royal couple’s official portraits: Prince Charles was always towering over Princess Diana, even if the two were both 5’10. This led to an investigation, revealing the Princess’ inclination toward low heels before her divorce.
2. Princess Diana spent almost £4,000 each year to have her hair bleached.
A natural ash blonde, Princess Diana spent thousands of pounds to keep her locks golden. One could say it was worth it, as the slightly lighter shade became the Princess’ signature, emulated by many.
3. Princess Diana was a fan of Irish singer-songwriter Enya.
In the HBO documentary Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy, her sons Prince William and Prince Harry revealed that the late Princess loved blasting Enya while going on long drives in her BMW with the top down, naturally.
4. Princess Diana was not one for tea.
Several British tea brands boldly claim that the Princess loved their products. However, her former private chef Darren McGrady settled the matter in 2011 in the Go Knoxville city guide. "Diana, Princess of Wales loved freshly squeezed juice for breakfast. She took her coffee black. She never drank tea and did not eat red meat," he said.
5. Princess Diana spent over $2 million on clothes between 1981 and 1994.
The Princess’ style came with a hefty price tag. Compared to Diana, Duchess Kate only spent £32,870 in a six-month period, due to her penchant for recycling and high street choices. Princess Diana spent 10 times that amount during her first few months of engagements, blowing £341,000.
6. Princess Diana was pursued by Donald Trump.
In the '90s, the two personalities ran in the same social circles. At the United Cerebral Palsy Humanitarian of the Year Award event, Trump was seated at the same table as Diana. According to Marie Claire, Trump offered the royal a free membership at his Mar-a-Lago golf club, which she declined. The now U.S. President didn’t stop there. Smitten, he sent flowers to Kensington Palace and in true Trump fashion, publicly spoke about his attraction to the Princess.
7. Princess Diana was the first royal bride to hold a paying job before her engagement.
Prior to her marriage, Diana took a job as a kindergarten teacher at Young England School.
8. Princess Diana's hefty divorce settlement included £17 million and £500,000 per year.
Diana's divorce settlement included a lump sum of £17 million and an annual income of £500,000 per year to continue funding her office. However, she was stripped of her royal titles.
9. Princess Diana is related to a number of mistresses to British kings.
Barbara Palmer, 1st Duchess of Cleveland
Six to be exact. The Spencers have descended from Mary Boleyn; Nell Gywn; Barbara Palmer, 1st Duchess of Cleveland; Louise de Kérouaille, Duchess of Portsmouth; Lucy Walter; and Arabella Churchill.
10. Princess Diana gave birth to Prince William standing up.
According to The Independent, natural childbirth