Gardening is a lovely way to spend a sunny afternoon as you potter away between your roses and peonies. But for those of us who love our gardens, perhaps a little too much, there is so much more to it than just that. You feel like you and your garden have an emotional connection and it's your pride and joy. If this sounds like you, see how many of the following you can relate to...
1. EVERYTHING YOU SEE IS POTENTIAL GARDEN MATERIAL.
Whether you're walking on the beach or out shopping for homeware, your mind always goes back to your garden: "will this rock look good next to my hydrangea?" "Perhaps this bowl could make a pretty bird bath?" You're always on the lookout for new additions to your garden.
2. THE SEASONS NEED TO BE PLANNED AHEAD.
You already know what you'll be planting when the season changes. You can never be too prepared and you're always planning the next big project.
3. YOU RELISH THE CHALLENGES.
Someone may have said to you in passing that they just couldn't get a species of flower to flourish in their garden. You log this and treat it as a personal challenge to get that very same type of flower blooming better than anyone else's.
4. A LITTLE RAIN NEVER HURT ANYONE.
A few spots of rain won't stop you getting out into your garden.
5. BUT IF IT POURS…
When the rain is far too heavy for anything productive, you like to entertain yourself with an insightful gardening book.
6. AND ON SCORCHING DAYS YOUR PLANTS ARE YOUR PRIORITY.
Before you've even thought about refreshing yourself with an ice cold drink on hot summer days, your first instinct is to make sure your plants get a drink.
7. YOUR FINGERNAILS ALWAYS SEEM TO HAVE DIRT BENEATH THEM.
No matter how much you scrub.
8. SLUGS ARE YOUR ENEMY.
These slimy beasts munch on everything you have worked so hard to create and nurture. You sometimes feel they must have a personal vendetta against you.
9. YOU HAVE YOUR FAVORITE TOOLS.
Though you own a copious amount of gardening equipment from trowels to shears, you have your favorites that you just couldn't live without.
10. YOU KNOW ALL THE MICROCLIMATES WITHIN YOUR GARDEN.
This includes the part that is always in the shade, the area flooded
11. WHEN YOU VISIT FRIENDS OR FAMILY YOU SNEAKILY JUDGE THEIR OUTSIDE SPACE.
And, of course, yours
12. A BIG GARDEN CENTER IS YOUR IDEA OF PARADISE.
Like a kid in a sweet shop, you will roam the aisles, absorbing everything in sight and wishing you could take it all home with you.
13. FLOWER SHOWS ARE THE HIGHLIGHT OF YOUR YEAR.
Too much excitement!
14. YOUR GARDEN IS FEATURED IN YOUR DREAMS A LITTLE TOO MUCH.
It doesn't just take up a big part of your waking thoughts.
15. PILES AND PILES OF PLANT POTS ARE A COMMON SIGHT IN YOUR SHED.
They will all come in useful eventually!
16. NOTHING MAKES YOU HAPPIER THAN A GARDEN COMPLIMENT.
Whoever remarks on your impressive gardening skills becomes your new favorite person.
17. YOUR OBSESSION IS ACTUALLY HEALTHY BECAUSE IT SOOTHES YOUR SOUL.
It's a scientific fact that gardening boosts your mental and physical well-being. So there's really no need to rein in your addiction, is there?
This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors.