14 Reasons Why Fortnum & Mason is the Best Grocery Store in London
Fortnum & Mason has been the royal grocer for over a century, and to this day, it's considered one of the best grocery stores in London. Although the shop has since expanded to sell beauty products and accessories, it still stocks shelves upon shelves of its most iconic products like champagne jelly, buttery biscuits, fresh meat pies, and tea blended especially for a monarch.
1. They have the prettiest produce in the world.
All of the store's vegetables are displayed in wicker baskets and stacked on wooden carts. Look at those stems of broccoli!
2. Fortnum's food hampers are the best in the country.
Perfect for a picnic or a hostess gift!
Fortnum's Hamper, $321 (P16,176.80)
3. The interiors are decorated with chandeliers and plush red carpets.
Classical music is piped in too. Is there anything more luxurious than grocery shopping to Mozart and Bach?
4. The store is truly historic.
It was founded in 1707 and has been located in the same spot on Piccadilly ever since.
5. The store sells about a million varieties of tea.
Including special teas like the Royal Blend, which was created
6. The Royal Family just might show up.
Queen Elizabeth, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, and Kate Middleton paid an official visit to the shop in 2012.
7. Champagne is their favorite ingredient.
They sell everything from Strawberry and Champagne preserve to Champagne popsicles and truffles.
Strawberry & Champagne Preserve, $7.64 (P384.87), Fortnum & Mason
8. Everyone in London knows the Fortnum & Mason logo.
It decorates everything from picnic hampers to shopping bags.
9. Fortnum & Mason goes all out for the holidays.
Christmas trees decorating every level of the shop? Check. Two-foot-tall chocolate Easter bunnies? Check. They even sponsor a skating rink in London!
10. They have fully embraced high tea.
Not only do they have a Tea Salon in their store, but they sell all the essentials you need to make your own at home—from tea pots to scones and tins of biscuits.
High Tea 2 Tier Cake Stand, $118 (P5,944.25), Fortnum & Mason
11. The men of the Royal Family are fans too.
Prince Charles stopped by the meat counter in 2007.
12. Fortnum & Mason sells much more than just food.
The store also has beauty products, clothing, accessories, and homeware.
13. Fortnum's makes sure that you will be prepared for a picnic.
They sell everything you need, from a picnic hamper like this to another one full of food and drinks.
Piccadilly Four Person Picnic Hamper, $482 (P24,280.75), Fortnum & Mason
14. The store's shopping bags are iconic.
The store's signature robin's egg blue color is so chic that even the Duchess of Cornwall carries them!
This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors.
Prices are based on the conversion rate of $1 = P50.38.