Current Events
ACLU Raises $19.4 Million Following Trump's Executive Order on Immigration
The order suspends all refugee admissions for 120 days and blocks citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen from entering the United States for 90 days.
IMAGE Getty
Comments

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has raised $19.4 million through approximately 290,000 online donations since Saturday morning, reports USA Today. To put things in perspective, the organization, which works to preserves the rights and liberties guaranteed by U.S. law and the constitution, typically receives $4 million in online donations per year.

Anthony Romero, executive director of the organization, called the influx in support an "unprecedented" response to President Trump's executive order on immigration, which suspends all refugee admissions for 120 days and blocks citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen from entering the United States for 90 days.

As it stands, the executive order applies to citizens of those countries with valid visas and green cards as well as those with dual citizenship—for example, someone who is a citizen of both Iran and Canada, according to The Atlantic. It does not apply to naturalized U.S. citizens.

The order went into effect immediately, causing immigrants with valid visas or green cards and refugees to be detained in international airports across the country. They had been mid-flight when it was signed.

The ACLU requested a temporary injunction to "block the deportation of all people stranded in U.S. airports under President Trump's new Muslim ban." The stay was granted by a federal judge in New York's Eastern District Saturday night.


"Clearly the judge understood the possibility for irreparable harm to hundreds of immigrants and lawful visitors to this country," said Romero of the ruling in a statement by the ACLU. "Our courts today worked as they should as bulwarks against government abuse or unconstitutional policies and orders. On week one, Donald Trump suffered his first loss in court."

"Clearly the judge understood the possibility for irreparable harm to hundreds of immigrants and lawful visitors to this country," said Romero of the ruling in a statement by the ACLU. "Our courts today worked as they should as bulwarks against government abuse or unconstitutional policies and orders. On week one, Donald Trump suffered his first loss in court."

The ACLU sees the stay as a victory, but plans to continue fighting. Rallies across the country this weekend have protested the executive order, and many celebrities and tech moguls are matching donations to the ACLU so they can continue their work.




For the full text of the executive order, click here, and for the full legal document regarding the stay, head over to the ACLU's website.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

This story originally appeared on Townandcountrymag.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Townandcountry.ph editors.

Comments
View More Articles About:
About The Author
Caroline Hallemann
View Other Articles From Caroline Hallemann
Comments
Latest Stories
 
Share
She's a rich girl, and she's gone too far 'cause she know it don't matter anyway.
 
Share
Forty-five images that show how the actress went from Italian starlet to international icon.
 
Share
The First Lady of France opens up about their unusual love story.
 
Share
Load More Articles
INSTAGRAM
CONNECT WITH US